Monday, August 11, 2008

How to Make a Fairy Garden

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to Summers Past Farm http://summerspastfarms.com/ with my friend Vanessa. I have to say, I am so happy to have finally gotten together with her! It has been a while and we always have such a good time together, which of course we did! We walked around the gift shop, had some coffee and yummies, walked the nursery (a little) smelled lots of soap, pet the kitties and dreamed of fairy gardening.







Thinking about it just wasn't enough I guess, and it was all over for me when my lovely friend bought me the cutest ever gardening accessories...




http://summerspastfarms.com/fairygardens.htm I had no choice but to go all out and create my own Pixie Paradise. And here is how it went...First I added the bench, a fairy needs a place to rest after all of that flying! Then I got the birdhouse and the beehive, I mean excuse me, is there anything more adorable? And what fairy garden would be complete without an actual fairy?? After much deliberation, I finally settled on The Marigold Fairy, we'll call her Mary...

After we left, thoughts of where to and how to create this were buzzing my brain. In the shop they had a cute layout in a birdbath.





I thought I could create something from a shallow planter of some kind and was anxious to get to home depot. Just as that thought settled, we passed a "statue place" (right next door). I flipped a "u", and stopped in. Much to my happiness, we found the perfect "home" for Mary. A very inexpensive, flower shaped birdbath. Just the right size for a beginner like me.



Continuing on with the education of how to...the next thing you do is go to Micheal's and walk the whole store at least 2 times, going back and forth between the floral, and diorama sections many more times. Pick up anything and everything that looks miniature and fairy-like or garden-like. (you can always return it later) Use your coupon, and save your receipt!



Next go to Home Depot, look around for more garden-y things. Buy more stuff. Go Home! Ask husband to unload heavy stuff (birdbath) from car. Shower, watch Olympics and go to bed. (optional)

In the morning, lay in bed and plan your garden. While becoming inspired again, I decided to do a few non-fairy-like things to tidy up the yard. Like oh let's just say re landscaping just about covers it! Go back to Home Depot, get soil, bark mulch, a few more succulents (of course) Gotta love sustainable plants. Come home.

Move things around in your garden, re-plant, re-pot, and find or create the perfect spot for your fairy home. Work all day, make your huaband think you are crazy, get inspired and bring magic into your life (and sore arms and legs and back from lifting, moving, carrying and general redistribution...) Then start the actual fairy garden!

For my fairy land I used some Alyssum ground cover, floral foam, pebbles, Spanish moss, and a mirror for a pond. I had many crystal like stones ad added those to for extra magic. Of course I used all of the items I bought yesterday too! There are a few secret ingredients as well, see if you can find the. I took many pictures along the way, so make sure you take a good look.







Just add stuff, take stuff away and add different stuff, until it evolves into something you love! Don't you love the perfect spot for the solar light? Doesn't it look just like a little fairy house??






I hope you are inspired to go make your own Pixie Paradise, or Sprite Sanctuary...



No comments: